To emphasize the vital role of the schools in spreading the awareness about Swachhata Mission and its implementation around the country, an interactive session was conducted by the students of the Indian Institute of Technology, Design and Manufacturing (IITDM), Kancheepuram on Saturday, 30th September 2023, in which the students of class VI and VII participated along with a team of four teachers. Our students came forward and presented their views with great zeal and enthusiasm.
Topics of Discussion:
Green Building is a concept of constructing high-performance structures that have no negative impacts on the environment throughout the project’s life cycle.
- Protect and enhance the biodiversity and ecological system
- Reduces the wastage of water and energy.
- Improves air and water quality and promotes a healthy lifestyle.
- Preserve and maintain the existing environment and promote a psychologically-optimized environment.
Renewable energy is energy that is derived from a natural source instead of a source that causes further environmental damage.
- One of the biggest, if not the most appealing, benefits of using renewable energy is that it can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere and ultimately, help reduce climate change.
2. Water, sanitation and hygiene
- Sustainable sanitation (construction of toilets)
- Wastewater treatment.
- Solid Waste Management
- Keeping our hands clean is one of the most fundamental steps to avoid spreading germs and keeping healthy because hands are the most exposed part of one’s body.
There was also an outdoor cleaning activity held on 01 Oct 2023, where the students actively participated in the cleanliness of the surroundings by picking up wrappers, papers, dry leaves, etc. from the campus and disposing of them in proper ways (biodegradable/non-biodegradable) segregation methods.